Sunday, March 18, 2007

Fine, I'll use smoke signals

Son: Can I have a cell phone?

GDad: No.

Son: Can I have this old phone if you reactivate it?

GDad: No.

Son: I saw a cell phone on TV. Can I have one?

GDad: No.

Son: I promise I wouldn't lose it or break it.

GDad: You just lost your lunch box yesterday. How exactly would a cell phone be different?

Son: It just would be. I promise I wouldn't lose it.

GDad: Uh huh. Why don't we see what the school rules are. [a few minutes and a web connection later] It looks like the school won't let you have a cell phone. Why do you need one, then?

Son: I just want one. What if I want to call <name>?

GDad: Then you pick up the phone THAT WE ALREADY PUT IN YOUR ROOM and call <name>.

Son: What if I'm too tired to get out of bed, and I don't want to walk to my desk?

GDad: Then you're too tired to talk.

Son: Can I have a cell phone?

GDad: No.

No comments: