Thursday, April 19, 2007

Those Were the Days My Friend...

Once upon a time, when I was footloose and fancy free, I had some friends who would make a practice of having adventures at the drop of a hat.

"Hey, want to drive to the next state and buy some liquor that you can't buy in this state?"

"When?"

"Now."

"OK."

So, fast forward to this past Wednesday night, with 18 years in the workforce, a mortgage, and a kid...

"Hey, want to have an adventure on Saturday?"

"I don't know. Let me check the calendar. I have to help a relative with a computer problem. What time were you thinking?"

"Well, I don't know. Would morning or afternoon work best for you?"

"Afternoon, probably. What are we doing?"

"How about 4:00?"

"OK. I guess if you won't tell me what we're doing, please at least keep in mind that any adventure has to be kid-friendly."

"Right. There shouldn't be anything that would be disturbing to a child."

"I'm not too concerned about disturbing. I'm more concerned about boring."

"Well, it should still be OK."

"All right. 4:00 is fine. See you then."

No comments: