Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Petroleum Products Today

So Son has strep throat. I'm really surprised I haven't gotten it from him, because I tend to get strep if anyone within 50 feet of me has it. He was off school yesterday and today. GPop watched him yesterday and this morning, and I watched him this afternoon.

I needed to get an oil change. It's the first one for my Civic Hybrid, and I needed to go to the dealer, because it uses 0W-20 oil, which is nowhere to be found at any quick oil change place, nor any car parts/supplies place I checked. It is also, as the dealer said, "practically water." However, the car didn't claim to need an oil change until about 7000 miles, so life is generally good. The car now tells me when it needs maintenance and what maintenance it needs. It is smarter than I am, apparently.

Son and I went to the dealer, and they told us that it would be about an hour. At around 45 minutes, Son proclaimed, "I'm bored. How long has it been?"

"Ten minutes."

"Really? It's taking forever."

We went to look at new vehicles in the showroom. I was regaled with a chorus of "Will you buy this car for me when I turn 16? Will you buy this car for me when I turn 16? What about this one?"

On our way home, I noticed that gas was $3.15 at a station on the way home. As I passed that station, I noticed that the next two stations had their prices for gas at $3.49. I swung around in a parking lot, and zoomed over to the $3.15 place. I don't know if any of you remember the gas shortages in the 1970s. I was very young, but it was really bizarre. People would sit in line and wait for pumps to come open; fights would break out. This was almost to that extent.

After I filled up - 8.2 gallons (thank you, hybrid) - I realized that I had saved about $2.75. Weird.

As we were leaving the parking lot, a hapless worker was changing the price to $3.48.

1 comment:

PC Strobe said...

Wow! You were lucky. I came this close to buying gas yesterday when the price here was still 3.15, but decided to do it today. Ouch!