Wednesday, May 9, 2007

That Horrible Dawning

I've always pooh-poohed boy bands as simply sugar candy for the ears and eyes. The music seemed to be too banal and formulaic to get too attached to, so I've really not paid attention to such music from the time I was in high school, and the New Kids on the Block were popular, to the later Backstreet Boys and N*Sync, etc. I defined myself musically as "someone who doesn't like boy bands."

So, I'm driving in my car. NPR is talking about Iraq again. Bleh. Time to listen to the mix CD I made.

I'm gettin' bugged driving up and down the same old strip.
I gotta finda new place where the kids are hip.
My buddies and me are getting real well known.
Yeah, the bad guys know us and they leave us alone .

I sing along. I sing in the baritone range, so some of the melody of Beach Boys songs is painful or impossible for me to reproduce. No matter, the music is really interesting, especially as the season turns to a beautiful spring and summer.

Day after day,
Alone on the hill,
The man with the foolish grin
Is keeping perfectly still.

The song is weirdly fascinating. I sing along to this one, too. I marvel how the Liverpudlian accent seems to fade when the Beatles sing. I've always wondered about that.

Oh. My. God. I like boy bands.

No comments: