Friday, September 14, 2007

The Further Adventures of Captain Ruffles

GPop and I used to attend the GLBTQ(etc.) Pride March in Capital City each year. Invariably, the event organizers managed to pick the hottest day of the year (so far) for the event. When I started marching, in 1992 (before I met GPop), there were about 8000 people in attendance. When we stopped, in about 2003, there were bazillions.

One of the entertaining aspects of this party is that Capital City, in a rare bout of equality, or more likely, simple oversight, has never passed sharia-like restrictions on public dress. Because of that, any citizen can be shirtless in Capital City, including women. There was a big kerfuffle about 12 years ago when a woman was mowing her lawn, topless. She was charged with public indecency or somesuch, but when the lawyers combed through the city code, they couldn't find anything that outlawed her behavior. That was the first summer of the Topless Frolicking Lesbians at the LQTBG(etc.) Pride March.

Over several years, the TFLs became less of a shock and more part of the overall spectacle. Because the day was always hot, many people ended up shirtless. The gym bunnies need somewhere to show off, after all. I, however, have a healthy dose of Body Shame. Also, on the melaninometer, I rank somewhere around here.



In 1999, maybe, or 2000, GPop and I were wandering around at the festivities. I looked over to my left, and I saw yet another shirtless person. My thoughts were, "Oh my, that's a rather saggy woman. Oh. My. God. That's not a woman! It's Captain Ruffles!"

Wow. I thought I'd managed to repress that memory.

No comments: