Friday, December 21, 2007

Foto Phriday

My late grandfather was a wonderful man. His life goals seemed to me to be to raise a family and to work to make the world a better and more informed place. He fought in WWII, spent years farming and working in a factory, and then, in his retirement, he co-authored a book with some of his distant cousins to document our family in North America since the early 1700s. He spent a great deal of time in his last few years volunteering to convert old county court records to electronic format to help out the local genealogy society. I miss him terribly.

Some of the wisdom he passed to me included a number of observations that seemed to be grounded in the idea that the world is never and can never be perfect, so we work hard to make of it what we can.

"Trash can basketball is a win-win situation. If you make it in, you win. If you don't, well, you had to go over to the trash can anyway."

"Don't get too upset about weeds. If it's green, and it's on the ground, then it's your lawn."

In reflection of that last remark, here's a picture of a pretty purple flower that grows as a weed in my lawn every spring. It has a cousin that is the same size and shape, but mostly white with faint purple stripes. I happen rather to like it.

1 comment:

CrankyProf said...

I tend to think that the "weed flowers" are prettier than some of the showy crap people plant.

This is why my neighbors hate my yard.