Friday, February 8, 2008

The Dark Side of Presenting

A while back, I gave a presentation in front of about 150 of my peers. I was the first of four speakers in that section of the day's program, and I knew that the dense nature of the material had a big chance of losing the audience. In order to keep people awake and engaged through my 15 minutes, I announced at the beginning that I would be randomly selecting an audience member at the end of my speech to report out on how many times I said, "Um."

When I finished up, the person I chose was someone I knew had a voice that could carry, and who would be willing to play along. He told me that I'd ummed only twice.

The speakers who followed me were very self-conscious about saying, "Um." I completely threw off their presentations. That made me laugh.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

You are an evil, cruel man, Mr. Gdad.

Jen said...

Agree with Mandy you are cruel and evil. I'll have to remember that trick.