Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pareidolia

I was chatting online with a friend the other day, and she mentioned that she was discussing the concept of pareidolia in an academic setting. I replied with a :-). I hope she got the joke, because she had to run off right away.

On a related note, I've successfully taught Son that you can point to a random cloud and say that it looks like any arbitrary thing, and people will try to look for the thing you mentioned.

"Oh look! That cloud looks like Captain Christopher Pike from the Star Trek original series pilot 'The Cage.' And that one over there looks like mitochondrial DNA! Oooo! A fluffy bunny!"

2 comments:

Sid Schwab said...

I don't think you can "chat" about "pareidolia in an academic setting." Such a conversation, by definition, is "discourse."

I'm definitely a fluffy bunny guy, cloud-wise.

GDad said...

To-may-to, to-mah-to.
Po-tay-to, cha-rahd.