Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Softly Scented

Remember a few years back when everything was hypoallergenic? It seemed that, as a nation, we experienced a sudden outbreak of hives or something, and we started seeing hypoallergenic shampoo, hypoallergenic soap, hypoallergenic detergent, hypoallergenic kabob, hypoallergenic etouffe...

That was also the period where people learned the acronym HEPA, but I doubt very many people knew what the expanded term meant. Highly Effective Phony Advertising? Helping Extract People's Assets?

GPop and Son both complain of scalp irritation when they use shampoos with strong scents. I use Pert Plus, even though I would probably not meet anyone's definition of "pert." The "plus" part, I have down. Back in the Hypo days, we bought a Johnson & Johnson product that claimed to be hypoallergenic, but when the fad passed the way of the Tamagotchi and the Macarena, the J&J product faded away like those little penciled notes on your circuit breaker box that tell you to flip #7 for the guest room, NO NOT THAT ONE!

For a while now, I've been unable to find very many hypoallergenic shampoos in the supermarket, and I'm a bit loath to shop at the Hippiemart chain stores in order to buy Guatemalan Goat Shampoo or whatever that costs $9.50 an ounce. So, we found a Head & Shoulders variant that seems to fit the bill.

Of course, like most fashions, the pendulum has swung the other way in recent years so that we're left with horrors like the one about which Angry Professor expounds.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I don't have allergies and I don't have sensitive skin but
it seems everytime I find a shampoo or conditioner I like, it gets discontinued and then I have to find a replacement. I prefer to spend $.98 than $9. for shampoo. Seems silly to waste money on something that is going to get washed down the drain.