Monday, April 21, 2008

Echoes of Janet and Justin

Our family likes to have teevee shows that we can watch together and then discuss the lessons contained therein. Since Son has joined our family, we've gone through Futurama, Red Dwarf, Babylon 5, and some movies.

We had heard from some friends that Stargate SG1 was pretty fun, so we borrowed the season 1 DVD set from some friends. We already had the original movie on DVD, so we watched that first. Last night, we put in the first DVD of season 1 and watched the pilot.

We're watching, we're watching... BAM! Full frontal nudity! Huh. I would not have guessed that, given the show was usually aired before 10:00.

To Son's credit, he didn't snicker or hoot. Instead, he just asked, "Why do those people have big X's on their bellies?" (Answer - because they're aliens.)

As parents, we're concerned about inappropriate entertainment choices for our son. We both tried to show by our behavior (no overt response) that nekked people aren't dirty, dirty, dirty, but it was a bit of a shocker, nonetheless.

5 comments:

M&M said...

FULL frontal nudity? They must have done something different on the DVDs than what they showed on Sci Fi channel, 'cause I don't remember seeing that. And at the risk of sounding like a pervert, I think I'd remember....

GDad said...

Yes, full, as in both mountains and grass.

IMDB says that the DVD set was "re-rated". I suspect that means "director's cut".

GDad said...

Dear readers,

I actually use real terms when speaking in person, but I am using euphemisms to speak of parts here so that my blog doesn't get tagged as grown-up content and get blocked by various corporate firewalls.

GirlyWarrior said...

That's interesting. I would not have been expecting it either. I think it's good you didn't react in an overt way. Nudity is way too taboo here, I don't fully understand why. Self perpetuating discomfort.

Mandy said...

Wow, I'm sorry Gdad! I totally don't remember that at all! I would have warned you if I had. =( I hope it doesn't keep you and the family from enjoying the show.