Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It Never Hurts

Our old cell phones finally gave up the ghost. GPop's actually died a horrific death, and mine simply refused to hold a charge for more than 20 minutes of talk time. We decided to get new phones. We decided that the LG Rumor fit our needs and budget.

One of the benefits of the newest generation of phones is that many of them support memory expansion in the form of Micro SD cards. With this memory expansion, one can store gobs (or even kilogobs) of music, photos, and video. One of the killer app uses of a phone for me is the ability to take a picture of something silly and save it for humor or blogging purposes. GPop, on the other hand, would like to have a music player available. So, we decided we could use the memory expansion.

The store where we bought the phones had 1 GB cards for $15.98, but we didn't buy them that day on the theory that you can always get a better price online, and that the cards weren't critical that day. A few days later, I discovered that there was another Sprint store closer to our home than the one where we bought the phones, and even more importantly, it was closer to my commuting route.

I stopped at the new store and asked what the price was for the Micro SD cards. They were behind the counter and unmarked. He told me that they usually ran about $40. Then he asked if I wanted the 1 GB or the 2 GB. I replied that it really didn't matter, but that the other store a few miles away had them for about $16. He harrumphed, then he sat down at his POS terminal. After a few moments, he told me that the best he could do was $19.99 for the 2 GB card. Since I hadn't specified what capacity was $16, I was pretty thrilled to get such a deal. Huzzah!

Check out Get Rich Slowly for more ways to control finances.

No comments: