Monday, May 12, 2008

Baking Is Bonding

Son asked me if we could make brownies for dessert tonight. I had just put a loaf of fresh bread in the oven, so he must have made that connection. He wanted to make them himself, too.

Some good friends of ours, who are the ones whom we helped connect their Wii to a wireless network, put together a family cookbook with recipes from their family along with some anecdotes and family pictures. They were kind enough to give us a copy for Christmas.

Son saw that cookbook, found the easy brownie recipe within, and got to it. I supervised a little, but he was pretty good about putting it together, at least until it was time to put the batter into the pan. That was a bit messy. We overcame, though. The brownies should be ready in about 15 minutes.

6 comments:

Bill said...

I love to bake, and I've been doing a lot of it over the past year. I've started creating a few of my own recipes.
I'm still searching for a good, chewy homemade brownie recipe. One recipe, prepared exactly as directed, yielded brownies that I could have sold at a garden center as paving stones.
If Son's turn out, consider posting the recipe!

Matilda said...

If you and Son want to do a little more bonding, you ought to think about making your own family cookbook. Check out CookbookPeople.com for some software that makes it pretty easy.

GDad said...

Matilda,

Welcome! I'll check out the cookbook site. I'll also pass it along to my friends.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you come back soon.

Faith said...

Baking is great!! fun!! My son will ask occasionally. I stopped doing it as much baking as everyone's pants shrunk

GDad said...

Faith, you've just pointed out one of the mysteries of life. Why does baking cause one's clothes to shrink? We may never know.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

11-15 year olds are great brownie bakers. It's a great age.