Thursday, June 19, 2008

Schlecht und Gut

Last night, I grounded Son for a couple of days for being mouthy and snotty to a much greater degree than usual. Please recall that he is 13.

From a letter in the mail today...


Dear Parent,

Each spring the 7th grade math teachers, School Counselor and Gifted Coordinator meet to discuss students for potential placement in Algebra I. This is a high school course being offered to middle school students who need to meet a specific set of criteria for participation in this class.

[clip]

Your child has been recommended for placement in Algebra I in 8th grade. To participate in this class...


After I talked him out of the idea that he preferred to be with his friends in class instead of taking advantage of this wonderful educational opportunity, he agreed to do this. It is, after all, just one class out of seven or eight during the day. I'm finding it hard not to burst with pride. Remember, this was the kid who never thought he would have a chance to go to college.

4 comments:

pixnlil said...

*sniff* Awww, that kicks so much ass . . . I'm so proud for you!

Jen said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm not surprised he's a brainiac given his fathers....You should be proud.

Ashitaka said...

That is great, and if english comes up, have him do that too if he can. I was in advanced Math courses starting at third grade and honestly being in that class "up" from yours, shows you how immature the older kids really are. It really makes you think about things, I feel I'm a better person for that because I could see a year ahead at the mistakes of the class before me. I hope he gets as much out of this as I did.

Bill said...

That is truly fantastic!