Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Literacy Matters

A few days back, Cranky Prof posted a link to an article that showed a correlation between number of books in a household and children's test scores. There was a table that showed that children living in houses with greater than 100 books tended to do better on science, civics, and history than children with 26 to 100, 11 to 25, or 0 to 10 books in the house.

I just counted books in my bedroom. I counted 126 across my nightstand, GPop's nightstand, the computer desk, and under one dresser. I didn't look under the bed (a place that should terrify the faint of heart or allergic of nose) or in the couple of boxes that are filled with books and other miscellanea.

Son's bedroom has stacks of books, the teevee room probably has at least five to ten times the number in our bedroom, and the barn has several storage totes filled with the things.

Huh.

9 comments:

Shay said...

The spousal unit stopped counting after we bought the sixth bookshelf. It's a disease!

GDad said...

No kidding.

In ninth grade, my English teacher handed us a sheet of paper on which we were to record every book we read. I recorded all books that were a) not school text books (although novels assigned in class were fair game), and b) over 150 pages.

By some point in my senior year, I had recorded over 300 books. I got bored with the project at that point.

Ashitaka said...

Well, if you want to get rid of those... there's this great website alibris.com that you can buy/sell books on. To become a seller on alibris.com you have to have, I think, 2000 books entered into the system. I know it's a lot of work but some friends of ours who actually also own a bookstore now got started that way. You'd be suprised what some people pay.

pixnlil said...

So what would the study say about households that have book counts easily into the thousands but no children?

GDad said...

Probably that you have a mother-in-law who gives you a hard time about not having kids.

That's just a guess, though.

Bill said...

I gess that meens yallz real smark.

I used to keep my books, but now I only shelve the ones I know I'll read again...like To Kill a Mockingbird and A Confederacy of Dunces. I found out last year that my nearby library cheerfully accepts donated books. That's all well & good, but one of these days I'll have to do something with the crates of books in the attic. Yikes!

GDad said...

About six years ago, we terminated our association with a man who embodied the protagonist of A Confederacy of Dunces. He had been a friend for a while, but his charming eccentricity evolved into weirder and weirder manifestations of some kind of madness.

Bill said...

My goodness! A real live Ignatius??? Scary!

GDad said...

Bill, you can't even guess. I'll have to write a private post or something sometime to outline the stories. The guy was unbelievable.