Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oh, Really?

I was in a training session yesterday. The instructor was talking about setting SMART objectives. For those of you not blessed to be in Corporate America, SMART is an acronym that means something like Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-bound.

The instructor was talking about some example, and he said something like, "I could say that I will talk to each of my direct reports once per month about their performance numbers. That's both specific and measurable." He wrote the first two letters of SMART on the board with great flourish, then said, "I like S and M."

After thinking about it for a moment, I came to the conclusion that I probably would have guessed that.

6 comments:

crankylitprof said...

*snerk*

Did you laugh out loud? Because I would have HAD to.

pixnlil said...

"We're now going to do an exercise as a class. Each of you will create a SMART objective. Quickly. And it better be good. Or else you get the whip. Good luck."

M&M said...

For some reason I went right to Homer Simpson: "I am SMART! S-M-R-T!"

Mel Keegan said...

I'd have laughed. Not only for the S&M reference but for treating the folks like 4 year olds.

I could never do the corporate thing; you've got guts!

GDad said...

Treating folks like 4 year olds? Heh. Have you ever been to the USA? Sometimes I think the entire culture is aimed at treating people like 4 year olds.

Mel Keegan said...

Last time I was there was about 8 years ago. Back then it only seemed to aimed at 6 year olds!