Sunday, October 12, 2008

Papa Ate a Rolling Stone

Last night, we got out our Celestron NexStar 114 telescope. We've had it for a while, but this is the first time we've had it out since Son joined our family.

We were able to look at the moon, which was about 3/4 full, and we saw a planet which I believe was Jupiter. We saw three of the planet's moons, which eliminates Mars and Venus. The image looked something like this.



Son says he saw some swirls on the planet, but I didn't.



p.s. Bonus points for tying the title of the post to the contents of the post.

6 comments:

hwqe said...

I believe that you were looking at Jupiter. If you were looking southwest, I am pretty sure you saw Jupiter. I don't think any other planets are up this time of the year.

Angry Professor said...

Yay, the Gallilean moons! The AK will be so jealous.

Jen said...

My neighbor has one of those and as I look at it I notice it is never pointing up but always toward my house...hmmmm.

Mel Keegan said...

Yup, that'd be Jupiter. I've seen 4 moons and the planet from our telescope down here. I don't doubt your son either as I've seen banding on the planet too. Saturn also looks cool cus at the right time of the year you can see the rings casting shadows on the planet, AWESOME!

Unfortunately, some *SSH*l* SH*TH**d PR*CK stole my telescope from the deck a few months ago... Had a nice equatorial mount on the tripod too... sigh...

I am totally clueless (for once) as far as tying the title of your post to the content. Perhaps I should get out more and meet some younger humans.

Sid Schwab said...

definitely Jupiter. And I second the idea that finding Saturn is worth the effort. Seeing the rings is a transcendent experience!

GDad said...

I'd like to catch Mars on a close pass next time around. I doubt my little telescope will catch Deimos and Phobos, but we might see some kind of feature.