Thursday, October 23, 2008

Titles

Here are a few of the odder titles and their explanations. Yes, this is just a filler post.

This Thing All Things Devours - From the riddle that Gollum asked Bilbo.

Those Were the Days, My Friend - A song I sang in an elementary school performance.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur - Means "Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound."

Back to the Futon - A play on Back to the Future, except I had to sit on the couch.

Take it to the Limit One More Time - An Eagles song.

1 Corinthians 13:11 and Giant Alien Robots - The verse from 1 Corinthians is often read at Christian weddings. "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways." I wasn't as excited about Transformers as I thought I would be.

We Represent the Lollipop Guild - We played the game Munchkin, the name of which is from the Wizard of Oz, as is that song.

The Importance of Being Scripted - I had recently been thinking about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, in which Dorian Gray was a character. The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest were both written by Oscar Wilde.

Rejected Lines from Handel's Messiah - The line is "King of Kings!"

The Long and Winding Road - A Beatles song.

Disobedient, Disrespectful Oafs
- A line from the song "Kids" from the musical Bye-Bye Birdie!

A Bridge is Burnt - It's a part of a line (actually "a bridge is burned") from a John Prine song I like.

Valley of the Dals - A misspelling of the movie, and a reference to the Daleks.

Mala Vista - Play on Buena Vista, the Disney production company, which is a trademark of the Disney corp. All hail Disney.

The Turtleheads Are Coming! The Turtleheads Are Coming! - From the story of Paul Revere and a silly name for New Trek Klingons.

Mos Eisley Cheesesteak Sandwiches - Mos Eisley was the location of the cantina from the oldest Star Wars movie, A New Hope.

More to come if I need to do another clip show.

3 comments:

gay CME guy said...

Latin phrases, The Eagles, John Prine?! If you were in Chicago, we'd be goinng out for coffee and chat!

blueclose said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GDad said...

bluclose is a spammer! We all know what to do with spammers, right?

EXTERMINATE!