Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting - 2008

I arrived at my polling place at 6:10 a.m. The polls open at 6:30 around here. I talked to a very talkative gentleman whose two children were voting with him for the first time. Through the conversation, he told me that his daughter had been in a play with Marcot Ravenswatch last Christmas. He also told me that he had lost his job a couple of years ago when United Airlines had a big financial crisis, but that he was back on his feet (sans retirement fund) at another airline.

When the polls opened, I counted twelve people in line and three machines. The sign-in was split alphabetically in A-K and L-Z, so we ended up in two lines. I was about the sixth person to vote, and when I was done, there were about twenty people waiting to vote and another ten people waiting to sign in. GPop arrived with Son just as I was leaving. We wanted Son to see the process, then GPop was taking Son out to breakfast on the way to school.

Go. Vote.

3 comments:

LeftLeaningLady said...

I voted this morning after only a 30 minute wait. My son voted for the first time in a Presidential election (his first vote was in January for the Primary That Did Not Count). It is a beautiful process. Hopefully America wins this election!

Obama '08

Jen said...

I just returned from voting. There were no lines and I was finished in minutes. I'm not sure that bodes well for Minnesota. Everyone arrived with books and crossword puzzles. There were a few voters in suits telling dems that they were supposed to vote tomorrow. No one took them seriously of course.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

My family has a tendency to die on voting days so I vote early, but not "absentee," Heaven forbid!