Monday, January 5, 2009

Parenting Lecture to Son

GDad: You said you wanted to read your book, so go read.

Son: I don't want to now. I'm all hyper from that candy.

GDad: And whose fault is that?

Son: Yours.

GDad: What?

Son: You said I could have the candy, so it's your fault.

GDad: So you have no capacity to make intelligent decisions on your own? If that's the case, I expect you to stop trying to make any decisions, and I will tell you what to do and when to do it for the rest of your life. Does that sound like a fun time?

Son: No.

GDad: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. And just because you're allowed to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. Now go read that book.

[30 minutes later, and several sounds of laughter from Son]

GDad: Are you glad you read it?

Son: Yes.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Father knows best. Both of 'em.

crankylitprof said...

Mua ha ha.

I'd have been Satanic about it: "With all that energy, cleaning your room ought to be a breeeeeeze!"

Jen said...

Dammit Bill I was gonna say that.

I nominated you for best kept secret blog over at http://2009.bloggies.com/

GDad said...

Jen, thanks!

CLP, I save that evil for rare occasions.

Bill, thanks!

Pooka said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is amazing hahahahaha!

GDad said...

Pooka,

Welcome! Glad you stopped by!