Saturday, July 11, 2009

As Seen on Teevee

We watched the PBS American Experience documentary, The Summer of Love, last night to show Son some of the history of San Francisco. Son is intrigued by the Hippie movement, and this encapsulated the highlights of that year.

When we get out there for vacation, we're certainly going to see some of the Haight-Ashbury locations from the video. Son wants to talk to a real hippie. That might be a little trickier. It's not as though they have office hours.

Next up: The Times of Harvey Milk.

7 comments:

Shay said...

Go to the Armed Forces Recruiting Station in Oakland; you're bound to run into some Code Pink people.

Guinea Pig said...

I don't know any hippies from that time period but I can point you to some hippies about my age (30-40). Live on a farm, natural birth at home, don't use drugs for medicinal purposes :), birkenstocks, long dresses, dreadlocks, etc. I love these people. Actually, I don't call them hippies, I call them friends. Lots of the blogs I read are from those guys.

I don't know any of the "free love" type though. Sorry about that one.

Angry Professor said...

Hippies are everywhere. Most of them are now in their sixties and voting Republican, though.

pixnlil said...

Haha! I agree with Angry Professor - my aunts and uncles are all hippies. One uncle is now a lawyer and his wife is a paralegal, the others are still quite hippie. I just saw them all this weekend and was reminded why drugs are bad, mmmkay.

GDad said...

My dad was the right age for being a hippie, but he was not the right temperament.

When we used to live in an apartment near a more bohemian part of town, I'd hang out with the alterna-folks of all kinds. It was really fun. Maybe I can find some folks closer to home again.

Yeah - the free love thing was never something I was able to be a part of.

M&M said...

Perhaps you CAN find someone closer to home that's a hippie. You know, someone with a PhD in theatre, for instance.

pixnlil said...

Bwahahaha! Nice plug, M.