Monday, July 20, 2009

San Francisco, Day One

We woke up in GPop's parents' house this morning pretty early. I was up around 4:30, but I didn't get everyone else up until about 5:45. After a nice round of "Have a safe trip" and "Drive carefully", we made our way to the airport without incident, other than trying to stop to buy batteries and drinks at a store that wasn't open.

The line at the Continental Airlines counter was very long. Once we made it through the check-in, we had to go through a slightly faster line for the security checkpoint. For some reason, maybe multivitamins with iron, I set off the metal detector on the first trip through, but I backed up and came through again with no issues.

Our seats were assigned randomly. Apparently, the introduction of the World Wide Web and online travel web sites has made air travel more confusing that it was before 1991, which is saying something. We weren't able to choose our seats on the Orbitz site nor the Continental site. When we scored the emergency exit row, I was stoked, albeit with a sense of dread, because I thought I remembered that all passengers in that row must be 15 or older. Son is 14. Sure enough, we were moved to another row. A row with less leg room than my three-year-old niece's tricycle. A row with a guy sitting behind us who snored slightly louder than the jet engines. Oh well, the flight was only going to be FIVE AND A HALF HOURS.

Fortunately, we made it to SFO without too much hassle, but when we got into the cab, GPop realized that the GPS unit was somehow missing. Grrr...

We checked in at the hotel. Since it was now 2:00 our time, we decided to go to lunch. For lunch, we stopped at Naan 'N Curry for the buffet. We should've worn bibs.

Once we were back at the hotel, we mapped out a route to the nearest electronics retailer to find a replacement GPS. Fortunately, the prices have really dropped recently. We put in some geocaches and such, and we are ready for fun tomorrow.

Several jobs ago, at Mega Corporation One, I was in a job that provided me opportunities to travel a few times a year to train business partners on our technology. About seven years ago or so, I was on such a trip to San Francisco. The other two trainers and I were pretty tired after day two, so we decided to go out to eat. One of the business partners pushed her way into our dinner party, which was kind of awkward. We ate at Sam's Grill and Sea Food Restaurant.

I insisted that we go there today for dinner. The food was EXCELLENT. Not only that, but we had the same waiter that I had met in my last trip to San Francisco.

On the walk there, a person of indeterminite mental stability started yelling at me from about fifty feet away. Since I was in the middle of a conversation with Son about the Great Earthquake, I decided to ignore the POIMS. Apparently, this enraged him, and at one point, he kicked a lighter in my direction. GPop glared at him, and the guy vanished a while later.

On the walk back to the hotel, we stopped at Mel's Drive-In. GPop and Son had dessert, but I opted to pass.

Now I'm sleepy.

UPDATE:
Try this link for the restaurant.

No comments: