Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bubblin' Ears

Son has used cotton swabs to clean his ears for a long time. I have told him that using swabs this way is contraindicated right on the package, but he persists. Yes, he did manage to push a big glob of ear wax into his ear. He had enough pain that we took him to the doctor.

The good doctor told him not to do that any more. She also told him to put hydrogen peroxide in his ear to mumblefrotz the whozits with peroxidey goodness. I had Son lie on the bed with a towel under his head, and I poured about a half teaspoon of H2O2 solution in his ear. I told him to hold his nose, close his mouth, and blow gently. It fizzled a little, and I signaled for him to turn over. Rinse, repeat.

Son advised me that this was the strangest sensation he'd ever felt. He wanted me to do it, so I gave it a try.

Yes, indeed, it is certainly a strange sensation. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to feel dizzy for a few minutes while the bubbles interfere with one's sense of balance. Goofy.

4 comments:

crankylitprof said...

Cheaper than drugs or drinking to excess! (I've had that make me feel nauseous, actually.)

hwqe said...

I had trouble with ear wax as a youth. Had to do this all the time to break up the wax. I remember the fizzing, dizziness, and the weird feeling in my eyes.

pixnlil said...

Hmm. That explains quite a bit actually.

hwqe said...

pixnlil is an evil evil person!