Friday, May 14, 2010

Conversational Building Block

I just tried one of those things you see in movies and teevee where a character will respond to someone with a short response, pause, then say it again.

Alice: ...and that's why I don't use two-ply bathroom tissue any more.

Bob: Great information, Alice. [pause] Great information.

Unlike when Ward Cleaver or Bill Cosby would use this gambit, it sounds contrived and awkward in real life. I think I was hoping for "avuncular," but when the person I'm addressing is 20+ years my senior, avuncular doesn't quite work. It becomes condescending and a bit off-putting.

I'm going to have to keep this one in my back pocket for use when I want to cause trouble.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

That's funny! It reminds me of the last "The Middle" where the Dad and Brick were trying to learn how to converse with people. The line was something like, "Well, I don't know much about that. But I would like to hear what you have to say."

GDad said...

Heh. I haven't seen that one.