Thursday, June 3, 2010

Another Performance

I have been asked (again) to be part of the department Town Hall meeting. This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Principal Skinner announced over the loudspeaker:

Principal Skinner: Attention. All honor students will be rewarded with a trip to an archeological dig!
(Martin, Sherri, and Terri cheer, Sherri and Terri high-five)
Principal Skinner: Conversely, all detention students will be punished with a trip to an archeological dig.
Bart, Milhouse, and Nelson: ...Oh, no! Not tomorrow!... ...Oh, crud....
I can't tell if "they" are rewarding me or punishing me. I think I've lost my ability to tell the difference between good news and bad news.

In any case, I've been asked to dress as Uncle Sam and do the bit in the presentation to acknowledge educational milestones and service length milestones. So all of those MBAs and 20-year veterans will be asked to stand up or whatever.

I'm thinking about coming out on stage and belting out a rendition of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" while getting some of my cohorts to hold up props to illustrate some of the lines. My "Yankee Doodle Sweetheart" will be the Statue of Liberty. I can't immediately tie the song to getting an education or serving a long time with a corporation, but I figure if I start a short speech with a sonorous, "America," I can probably go in just about any direction from there.

No comments: