Saturday, July 10, 2010

Flashback

When I was in college, I worked for three years as a Resident Advisor in the residence halls. If my math is correct, I think I served in this capacity for about 180 students, all told.

The other day, one of them hunted me down and wanted to catch up. He was full of compliments about how he had admired me back in those days, and how he really appreciated all I had done while I was an RA. He asked me if I'd be interested in lunch. I said that I would, so we ate yesterday at a generic Americana restaurant.

The whole conversation was awkward, as though we were on a three-quarter-second delay. I'm sure he is a fascinating person, but it was just tough to catch up with someone who, to me, is one of 180 people that I knew for one year. I did my best, though.

2 comments:

Katheriner said...

Yup, that is hard.... sometimes people say "Oh HI Katherine!" like they have known me for YEARS... and I have no clue who they are... awkward!

GDad said...

A friend I have mentioned here before, Marcot Ravenswatch, has been in several jobs that put him "onstage" - camp counselor, corporate trainer, science museum public outreach coordinator, and others. He's also 6'7". He tells me that there are WAY more people that know him than he knows.