Monday, December 6, 2010

Epic

Son had an assignment to write a short story. The minimum length was five paragraphs of three sentences each. His first pass was a story that started off, "My name is Alek. I will tell you the story of how I died." It was going to be a tale of a ten-year-old boy in some fantasy realm whose village was raided by the bandits, etc., until he became a knight who sought revenge on the leader of the criminals.

Five paragraphs, mind you.

He asked for my help. After going down several paths of how such a story would play out in a page or two, I led him to the realization that perhaps he wanted to write a novella in his spare time.

Instead, I offered him the idea of the time he found a singing mouse under his bed. At first, he was wildly disappointed in not being able to write his LotR tale, but then he kind of warmed up to the idea, and he ended up with a cute little story. And, since the assignment is due tomorrow, the important thing is that he got it done.

No comments: