Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Angry Language Guy - Little Canyon

Recently, I've been hearing the verb "ditch" used in a way I'd never heard before about two years ago. Until then, "to ditch" someone was to miss an appointment with the person intentionally, or perhaps to leave them when you are supposed to be spending time with them. So, "I ditched Bob at the party," or "I ditched Susan's birthday party."

Now, I hear people using the word to indicate "cutting in line," which is itself likely a regionalism, but I'm curious to find out if people in other areas of the English-speaking world have seen this new usage of "ditch," or if it's an accepted usage that just recently migrated here.

4 comments:

PC Strobe said...

I've used ditching to mean cutting in line since grade school. Born and raised here in Columbus.

pixnlil said...

I heard it used that way for the first time about two years ago as well. I have never used it in that context either.

Bill said...

This usage has not migrated to central VA yet.

Dave said...

Given the first few pages of results using this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:twitter.com+ditch

Seems the cutting in line isn't common.