Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Genes

I've been bitten by the genealogy bug. The family history is interesting as far as it goes back, but I think to get any further back than colonial times, I'd need to go to Europe. Since my most recent ancestor that was not Bruce Springsteened was

me → mother → grandmother → great-grandmother → great-great-grandfather,

I'd need to have a lot of luck finding birth records or relations in Bavaria or whatever.

We have records of almost everyone who was born in the United States back to the late 1700s, so my contribution so far is entering everything into "the computer." Maybe I'll be able to do some first-hand research soon, though. There are records of people dying in Remote Smaller Town, Midwest State with no dates of death. If they were buried in one of the two cemeteries in that town, which is about a 2-hour drive from Small Town, I may find gravestones with dates on them.

As I look at family records, there are a LOT of (late) people from Remote Smaller Town that are related to me. On Google Maps, the town is only about two roads by two roads. I probably have fifty cousins there that I don't even know.

No comments: