Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Power Pilfer

Yesterday, I had to travel to another building. I sat at an empty desk for a while to process my e-mail. After a bit, the battery on my laptop started to drain. I searched my bag for my charger, and discovered that I'd left it at my regular desk, so I moved to the next desk over, which belonged to my friend Ina. Ina was out for the day.

I sat there for about twenty minutes to charge, and then I got up to leave. A woman named Kim from down the row, who should have recognized me, walked passed then turned and asked in a suspicious voice, "Do you need something from Ina's desk."

I replied, "I needed to power my laptop. My battery was dead."

She stared at me for a moment, then said, "Hm." She stalked away.

I thought I'd stir the pot a little, so I wrote a note and left it on Ina's keyboard.

Dear Ina,

I sat at your desk and stole some electrons from your power cord.

GDad
Then I texted Ina and told her about the situation. She virtually laughed across the text connection and told me that this behavior was exactly what she would expect from Kim, and that she would certainly share my shameful confession note with Kim on Monday.

No comments: