Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week of Medical (S)care

Son called me this morning about the time he should have left the house for marching band practice. "My knee really hurts." He had been complaining the night before, and he's not really a planner, so I figured he hadn't set this up to miss practice. I called the doctor to get an appointment for the afternoon.

The doctor asked him a few questions, made him bend and extend his knee, poked at him for a moment, then pronounced that he had patellar tendinitis. Take ibuprofen, rest, and it will get better.

So of course, Son found out that friend Daniel from band has Osgood-Schlatter disease, which also causes knee pain in teens. Son is convinced of some kind of cosmic conspiracy, especially since it's THE SAME KNEE OMG!!!11!!. I tried to explain that similarly situated teens are more likely to experience similar injuries than, say, a male infant and an unrelated 44-year-old woman, but he was having none of it.

No comments: