Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dente Canis et Sum non Medicus

At the drop-off for the birthday party, Neighbor Rusty's evil little Jack Russell (supposedly) terrier came over and bit Tremell's mom when she was getting back into her car.  Duke is the dog's name.  He is supposedly quarantined to Rusty's house for 10 days and is "under review" or something.  Rusty initiated the review period with Animal Control.

Tremell's mom was quite insistent on asking me for medical advice.  I advised her to consider her own health situation, consult with Rusty to make sure Duke had all of his shots, and perhaps chat with a family doctor, but I could not provide solid medical advice.  She kept asking.  In my mind, I kept answering, "Go to the d@m_ doctor, woman!" but on the outside, I simply repeated the lines about making sure she was comfortable with the outcome.

Also, she said her leg was "leaking" rather than "bleeding," which I suppose is a perfectly cromulent use of the word, and she didn't appear to be familiar with antiseptic ointment and adhesive bandages, so perhaps I should have been a bit more assertive about seeing a doctor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote my state's training materials on rabies for local health departments, so I can tell you with certainty that if the dog is healthy in 10 days she needn't worry about rabies. If it shows signs of rabies before the 10 days are up, rabies shots(a series of 6 in the arm, not the 25 in the stomach that kids still tell scary stories about) will save her life.

In the meantime, the bigger concern is wound infection if she hasn't cleaned and bandaged the bite.

GDad said...

I think she may have washed the bite soon after. Certainly she showered or bathed that day. Her own mother read her the riot act about taking care of it. Tremell told me that "you do NOT mess with Grandma." We gave her some over-the-counter antibiotic ointment and bandages the next morning.

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to see the proper use of "cromulent". Found this blog from TYWKIWDBI.

GDad said...

Anon,

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy the stay. Pick a name, if you like.