Monday, September 24, 2012

I Want to LIVE

David Sedaris wrote essays about his time as a housekeeper.  He worked in New York cleaning apartments and houses, and one of the really comical pieces was his description of mixing different household cleaners against the warning labels' proscriptions.  If I recall correctly, he said you actually can mix bleach and ammonia, but you just have to keep concentrating on the thought, "I WANT TO LIVE!"

I have a seventeen year old son.  He is very dear to me, but sometimes I think he is bleach, ammonia, and carbonation all mixed together.  I didn't realize that having a teenager meant that you get to relive teen years from both sides at the same time.  Parents have to be made of pretty stern stuff.  I just want to survive this with my sanity intact.

1 comment:

Alice said...

aside from the LONG term lung damage it causes.

Now you know why parents sometimes become senile.