Saturday, October 27, 2012

Panicked

Son got all As and Bs this quarter, and he's due for a cell phone replacement.  His old phone had some damage, then it was "accidentally" dropped (or run over or something).  We budgeted for a phone, and we Son made an argument for a new iPhone.  That's fine, so while he was out at his band contest, I drove around Capital City trying to find one.  Evidently, there is collusion not to "hold" iPhones for customers, even just for 20 minutes.  "Sorry, sir, we just sold the last one."

I finally found one and managed to get it purchased with as many discounts as I could swing.  By the time I got done, I ran another errand or two and made it over to see Son perform.  After the kids did their show, I followed Son to the buses and handed him his new phone.  He was thrilled.

Son's friend Tremell came up to me and asked, "Hey!  Where's my iPhone 5?"

I stared at him for a moment.  Tremell is one of those comically confrontational kids, and I wanted to react in a way that would throw him off his game.  He was ready for the sheepish, "Sorry," or the abrupt, "You're on your own, kid."  What he wasn't prepared for was me reaching up and blurting out, "Got your nose!"

3 comments:

Alice said...

No, I don't suppose he was expecting that.

GDad said...

And the follow-up is that I told Son to "return" Tremell's nose to him the next day at the choir concert. Tremell was disappointingly absent from the event.

Pearl said...

:-) Perfect.

Pearl