Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I Used to Be Smart

Back in my poor college days, I had a philosophy regarding minor car annoyances.  Well, "philosophy" makes it sound considered and deliberate.  Perhaps I should call it a "profound laziness."  I would ignore minor inconveniences, because they would

  • go away on their own,
  • be something I could live with, or
  • get too large to ignore.
It worked for me for a couple of years until I was able to buy a car that would have looked a little out of place at a demolition derby.  At that point, I started paying attention to the maintenance schedule and such.

Last Thursday, my check engine light came on.  This is a new thing.  The Honda Maintenance Minder indicator is something I have seen, but this light has not lit up since I bought the car in 2007.  I didn't have a lot of opportunity to schedule something before the weekend, so I figured I'd take the car to the shop after work on Monday or Tuesday.

Then, on Sunday afternoon, as I was heading out to the grocery, I noticed that the light was no longer on.  I win!

No comments: